DIY & Quotes to Live By

It has been 20 years since Deco Wrap DIY cornices aired on QVC, the largest home shopping channel in the country. I was reflecting on the early days. I was young and eager to get my product to market but there were many obstacles and disappointments along the way. If it was not for our persistence, and for my wonderful husband and business partner, I would not be where I am today. “I will persist until I succeed.”- Og Mandino.  Those inspirational words always stay with me. There were many doors closed to us and many “no-s” from so-called experts who thought they knew better. Well, there is another great quote, “Success is the greatest revenge” -Frank Sinatra.

It is true that the idea is only 1%. The tough road to make an idea successful is what makes up the other 99%. There isn’t a day that goes by that I am not thankful for sticking with it. Our journey was really hard at times but it brought me to where I am today. Now I can create, on my own terms, and enjoy every day with my children as they grow up.  I am  so thankful to have the time to spend with my family. I tweeted today, “I am thankful for all of those who said NO to me. Its because of them I’m doing it myself.”Albert Einstein . One of our product tag lines was, “Do it yourself with DecoWrap”. Now, as I look back, it has a whole new meaning.

One of the most inspirational books I have read is also one that I will never forget. Whatever your personal journey is, I suggest you read The Greatest Salesman in the World by Og Mandino. His books have sold over 50 million copies and have been translated into over twenty-five different languages. Here is a section from one of my favorite “scrolls”.

I will persist until I succeed.

The Scroll Marked III

I will persist until I succeed.

In the Orient young bulls are tested for the fight arena in a certain manner. Each is brought to the ring and allowed to attack a picador who pricks them with a lance. The bravery of each bull is then rated with care according to the number of times he demonstrates his willingness to charge in spite of the sting of the blade. Henceforth will I recognize that each day I am tested by life in like manner. If I persist, if I continue to try, if I continue to charge forward, I will succeed.

I will persist until I succeed.

I was not delivered unto this world in defeat, nor does failure course in my veins. I am not a sheep waiting to be prodded by my shepherd. I am a lion and I refuse to talk, to walk, to sleep with the sheep. I will hear not those who weep and complain, for their disease is contagious. Let them join the sheep. The slaughterhouse of failure is not my destiny.

I will persist until I succeed….

Post your thoughts